Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Chunky Salsa & Baked Chips

I LOVE Salsa, but the store bought ones I like have so much sodium they make me gain 10lbs from bloating. Which is discouraging while your trying to lose weight. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this salsa, even though I did have to cheat a little (adding store bought hot sauce).



Salsa (4 tbsp servings)
Calories: 32..........Carbs: 7..........Fiber: 2..........Fat: 0
..........Protein: 2..........Sugar: 4..........Sodium: 44

Weight Watcher Poings: 1

**My Salsa ended up being SPICY (which I like) - I've added suggestions for less spicy options**

Makes a little over 2 cups

3 medium tomatoes (400 grams) - cubed
5 Roasted Green Chilies - sliced into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions (scallions)
8 oz can No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
3 servings El Yucateco - Chile Habanero Salsa Picante De Hot Sauce (found in the spanish foods at walmart)
Add Garlic Powder and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients into a bowl, wait about 30 minutes for flavors to mix.

I bought my green chilies already roasted from Bashas (we have a farmers market that offers them by the bag, fresh and warm! sooo good)

BUT if you don't have this option, here is a video to help your roast your own.

Roasting New Mexico Green Chile At Home


For a milder salsa, I suggest using green bell pepper steamed instead of the chilies. Also do not use as much of the El Yucateco salsa.

Store in an air tight container, in the fridge. Will last 4-7 days.



CHIPS
Nutritional Info depends on the brand of Corn Tortillas you buy. I prefer Arizona brand, it seems to have the best calories. 4 tortillas is 120 calories.

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees

Use a pizza cutter (or knife) and cut Corn Tortillas into chips. Then place onto cookie sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes.


Make sure to set the timer...or you'll burn them...like me.


Then enjoy!


^ Second try, didn't burn them. haha ^

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP