Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grilled Chicken Breast

I was terrified of using a grill on my own. Something about open flames and a novice cook just screamed disaster to me. I finally gave it a go, and it was much easier than I expected.



I'm using a propane grill. A few tips I learned.

- To check if the tank has any propane, pour a cup of hot water on the side of the tank, then feel it with your hand for the cold part. Where its cold is how full the tank is.

- (clean the grill with the scraper), and then pour some olive oil on a paper towel and oil the grill bars. Your not using enough to worry about the calories, and most of it burns off, but it will help keep your food from sticking to a grill (especially if you don't use yours often).

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Light grill, place on low, close lid, and let heat up while you prep the chicken.

1) Buy a few pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast (how much you buy depends on how many people will be eating it, and how often...I buy 10lbs for 2 people)

2)Using a scale, cut the chicken breast into 4 oz servings. (This is a lot harder than it looks, so I have two piles...One pile is 3-4 oz pieces another pile is 5-6 oz pieces)



3) Spread chicken out on a large plate, and add seasoning. I like using Mrs. Dash seasonings since I try to keep sodium low. The Chipotle, Lemon, and Garlic seasonings are tasty on chicken. I'm not specific, so sometimes my seasonings overlap, but I figure its not to big of a deal.



3) Place chicken on lower rack on grill (if you have 2). Cook for 2 minutes, then turn 45 degrees. Cook another 2 minutes. Then Flip, and reapeat 2 minutes, turn 45 degrees, 2 minutes. Then take off and put cooked chicken on a clean plate. (When cooking the 6 oz pieces do 3 minutes/2 minutes) **Turn off propane when done cooking**



4) Let your chicken cool.


^ You can see I still have 2 different piles ^

5) When cool to the touch, put chicken in 1 gallon freezer bags. Label the bags with the date, oz per serving, and I also put the brand of chicken because sometimes the nutritional facts are different. Squeeze air out of bag, and close. Place in freezer.




Good for 3 months. Though most of the time gets eaten within a month at my house.

Taking an hour on a day off to prep chicken like this makes for easy lunches/dinners the rest of the month. Just grab a piece from the freezer, heat up in the microwave and mix with a salad, or a steamable bag of veggies.




No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP