Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spaghetti squash with garlic and butter

When I first heard about Spaghetti squash I was super excited. A pasta substitute for only 40 calories a cup! I made it and topped it with my regular meat sauce...and well...I was not thrilled. It wasn't "bad" but it wasn't something I would probably eat ever again. After talking with a friend who explained that I paired it with the wrong kind of sauce, I tried again using this recipe and it was amazing!  Really hit the spot.

This is the recipe I followed - baked spaghetti squash with garlic and butter

...tweaked it a bit to fit my own tastes


Calories: 192.........Carbs: 22.........Fiber: 1.........Fat: 9
.........Protein: 5.........Sugar:1.........Sodium: 264

Ingredients - Makes 5 cup servings (3 lb squash)
3-4 lbs Spaghetti Squash
12 oz steamed broccoli
4-6 tbsp margarine (50 cal)
2 tsp garlic
1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup Kraft Parmesan cheese grated

1) The Squash can be baked or it can be microwaved. I've cooked it both ways and they equally turned out. From now on I will likely use the microwave since its faster.
I followed the directions on this video.

Poke 8-10 holes in your squash with a knife. Place in the microwave for 5 minutes per lb. About halfway pause your time and flip your squash. Let your squash cool 5-10 minutes before touching.

2) Cut the squash in half (either way, doesn't really make a huge difference). Scoop out the seeds, then use a fork and scrap at the insides. It will easily come apart and look like noodles. Set aside.

3) Steam broccoli. I used a steamfresh bag, but you can use fresh too.

4) In a frying pan add margarine (butter), garlic and Italian seasoning. Mix while margarine melts. **You could start with 4 tbsp margarine, taste, and add more if you think its needed**

5) Add squash and broccoli,cook for 2-3 minutes to heat up, then mix in 1/4 cup cheese.

Enjoy! Tastes great this way and can kick a garlicky pasta craving. :)


pair with some Easy Cheesy Garlic Toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP